Tuesday, September 8, 2009

No more TV today.....or tomorrow

Our morning began just like any other. Addie called out, I jumped out of bed, ran down the stairs, made her morning bottle, and then made Noah's breakfast while Addie's bottle was warming. Meanwhile, Danny picked up Addie, hoping to quiet her so that her singing/loud talking wouldn't wake up Noah. Next, Danny fed Addie, I showered, Noah got up, ate and began watching the first of his allotted 3 TV shows for the day.

Side note: Noah is allowed to watch three 20 minute Noggin shows a day; the first in the morning, the second while we are preparing dinner/feeding Addie, and the third following his bath before bedtime. His shows are precious to him and thus have become bargaining chips for us. Bad behavior typically causes-first a time-out and if he continues the behavior, he loses a show. Personally, I try not to take the shows away unless absolutely necessary, because they give me the freedom to blow dry my hair, cook, and wash the dinner dishes-all in peace.

Back to today. We finished our morning ritual and everyone walked down the stairs to the garage, with me carrying Addie-already buckled into her car seat. I bent down to help Noah get his shoes on and he informed me that he wanted to wear his "Thomas" shoes (the ugliest shoes in the world, those bought by his father one weekend when he forgot to bring real shoes with him). As usual, I was running late, so Danny ran upstairs to get the shoes, I put Addie in her seat beside the car on the floor of the garage, and told Noah to sit on the stairs until his Daddy came back. I waved good-bye and honestly, the last words I spoke to my son were "Be a good boy today."

Less than 60 seconds after I left, Danny found Noah scribbling with a fluorescent green highlighter on the walls of the stairwell. Let me again pause to tell you that HE KNOWS BETTER. He always colors/draws/scribbles in a specific protected place in the house. We've had many conversations about where he is allowed to color for fear of this very thing happening.

Danny looked at Noah, and although furious, only said "Son, I'm very disappointed in you. No more TV for the rest of the day." Then he loaded both Addie and Noah into the truck and drove them to daycare. Noah was very quiet on the drive there. After arriving, Danny carried Addie into her room while Noah waited sheepishly by the door, still not talking. When Danny looked down at her car seat to unbuckle her, Addie too was covered in green highlighter marks. Her head had a large criss cross of green, and several other areas were "colored" as well. The teachers laughed. Danny had no choice but to keep his composure, despite the fact that he was about to blow up. He turned to Noah and said, "No more TV today or tomorrow. The ultimate punishment for him......and us.

So, think of me tonight and tomorrow as I will have an extra grouchy child clinging to me while I blow dry my hair and fix dinner etc.

Last side note, how many mommys wouldn't have noticed the green colored baby until taking her out of the car seat???? :)

No comments: