Friday, August 14, 2009

The Joys of Getting Older

"They" say that most things get better with age. I used to think that "they" were a bunch of old people who didn't remember what it was like to be young. But, having just turned 34, I must agree. At a time when my world isn't exactly perfect, I am healthier and happier than anytime I can remember. With age, we learn that yearly appointments to check bp and cholesterol and weight are important to keep. We understand that binge drinking and smoking are bad and the scare of dying while having young children makes the fun of these activities not so fun. We realize that a smile from your baby brings more joy than a night of bar hopping.

I am 34; I have lines around my eyes; extra pigment deposited on various parts of my body from pregnancy; loose skin on my abdomen; and I weigh more now than any other time in my adult life outside of pregnancy. BUT, I am beautiful, I know this because my husband tells me so everyday. I happily accept my battle wounds from pregnancy and delivery because without them, there would be no Noah or Addie. The lines around my eyes show that I smile a lot and I do. I've learned to prioritize and I create time for myself. My friends, family, my Danny and my babies give me more joy than I've ever known.

Yay! I'm 34! And although in genetic circles that means that I'm near advanced maternal age, I am finally figuring it all out! The thought of turning 35 or even 40 doesn't seem all that scary anymore.

Next post will include some updates on the Stanley Kids, since that is really the purpose of this blog!

2 comments:

allisonlehtinen said...

Beautifully written by a truly beautiful person! So honored to have you in my life!

Erin said...

Well said! Danny's not the only one who thinks you're beautiful and I'm so glad I'm one of the people who gets to share those laughs with you!