Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Now I can relate...

When I began working at WFUBMC, I was lucky to have wonderful genetic counseling colleagues. I remember in those early days listening to stories about how concerned they were that their children were switching daycare rooms and which teacher would they get....hoping for one over another in the same building. I really couldn't relate, not on any level. I was just happy to not have homework for the first time in my adult life!

When Noah was a baby, I began to grasp a sliver of understanding of the mommy turmoil they spoke of. This was because I had difficulty finding a daycare that "felt" right to me. Luckily, I found our home away from home and Noah was "given" to Ms. Debbie (a goddess of infant childcare). My worries were over....so I thought. Sadly, Ms. Debbie couldn't keep my baby forever, because he quickly became a toddler. From the time that Noah left the infant room, I worried about everything. Who would be his next teacher? Would she love him like I knew that Ms. Debbie did? He adjusted well and survived each transition much better than I did.

Next, I had to introduce my Addie to the saga. Addie naturally goes to the same daycare. She was lovingly handed to Ms. Debbie at 11 weeks of age and just last week got her "walking papers." She's too mobile for the infant room and moved to the betweenie room. I've been through this before, so why the tears flooded down my face last Monday morning, I wasn't sure.

Now I can relate. It's all relative for the place you are in your life. For me, the move up and discussion of new teachers etc. saddened me for one major reason. I'm done. Never again will Ms. Debbie hold my new baby and nurture her/him and comfort me. I'll never have a small baby to curl up in the crook of my neck nor one to rock to sleep and hold with one hand against my chest while singing "hush little baby."

Sad, but good. Because now, I have a spitfire of a daughter who is roaming around the betweenie room like she owns the place. I have a 3 year old who just started the pre-K 4 classroom and is thriving because he loves the structure and routine. I sleep through the night because my kids do. I'll have lots more transitions with these two little ones, and eventually big ones. But, the ride is going to be exciting.

I'm so grateful for the kind and loving caregivers at New Horizons. They have become an extension of our family and wonderful friends. The working mother guilt that I have always had, is lessened significantly because of these ladies.

No comments: